418 North Main Street
Penn Yan, New York 14527
Note: All New Telephone Numbers
Since October 1924, Soldiers and Sailors has
provided comprehensive patient services at 418 North Main Street, Penn Yan. Dedicated to
those from Yates County who served in World War I, the Hospital was founded by a group of
area residents and businessmen following an ambitious fundraising campaign.
The Hospital expanded its facilities during the mid1950s, beginning a series of construction projects that continued throughout the next four decades. In 1984, an 80bed nursing facility, The Homestead, was built adjoining the Hospital proper. 72 additional long term care beds were included in a $6 million expansion completed in 1994.
Outpatient and inpatient mental health services began in 1989 during a
major constructionrenovation project that involved every patient care area. A new main
entrance, expanded emergency medicine facilities and a new intensive care unit were among
several expansion projects in the plan.
Long noted for its excellent medical staff, backed by more than 500
professional, technical and support staff, Soldiers and Sailors is recognized as a leader
in rural health care. Its array of more than 40 patient services provides a continuum of
care that is necessary to address a rapidly changing health care environment.
Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital is a rural, community health care institution whose mission is to serve all who live, work and visit in Yates County and neighboring areas. The Hospital is committed to providing accessible and affordable quality care, and to meeting the health care needs of the community.
Within the scope of its resources, Soldiers & Sailors provides
programs, patient care, equipment, staffing and facilities to address current and emerging
needs of a rural area.
Soldiers & Sailors accepts a leadership role in identifying health
care needs within the community and working, in concert with agencies and resource
personnel, to develop programs needed at the local level. The Hospital is an advocate for
members of our community who have, traditionally, been underserved and who are most in
need of health care services.
Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital, its directors and staff, are
committed to the following objectives:
1. Maintain an environment that recognizes the
dignity of and the respect for, each patient, our medical staff, employees and community
2. Continually maintain, expand and implement ways to improve the quality of care delivered to our patients.
3. Provide quality health care with professionalism, technical competence and compassion, using the principles of total quality improvement with implementation of a hospitalwide program for continuous quality improvement.
4. Manage change at a rural, community hospital, in a regulatory environment, to address divergent needs within our community.
5. Advocate, via leadership, the growth of a rural health care system that offers a range of services, including, but not limited to, primary, ambulatory, inpatient medicalsurgical, inpatient and outpatient mental health, long term care and substance abuse services.
6. Maintain a work environment that attracts and retains qualified personnel in all departments; actively recruit needed medical staff and other professionaltechnical staff.
7. Strengthen the Hospital's financial viability via prudent planning, costeffective decision making and wellmanaged organizational assets.
8. Provide educational opportunities at Soldiers & Sailors for medical and nursing students, and for other health care professionals; encourage current staff to pursue educational programs with financial support from the Hospital.
9. Ensure strong leadership, responsiveness to the health care needs of Yates County and a wellinformed decisionmaking process by electing directors who have diverse backgrounds and a strong commitment to the growth of Soldiers & Sailors.
· 43 patient services
· 500 staff members
· 43 member medical staff
· 26 other consulting/specialty physicians
· 217 beds 49 medicalsurgical 4 intensive care 12 inpatient psychiatric 152 long term care
· Comprehensive surgical services
· Emergency care aroundtheclock
· Intensive care and telemetry units
· Diagnostic and rehabilitative services
· Two outpatient primary care centers
· Inpatient and outpatient mental health programs
· Senior outreach and Occupational Health Services
· Adult Day Health Care
· Clinical laboratory
· Radiology including CT scan and mammography
· Cardiac Rehabilitation
· Physical, occupational and speech therapy services
· Clinical pathways programs
Soldiers or Sailors Memorial Hospital
418 North Main Street, Penn Yan
Located on the northern edge of the village, the Hospital has served
area residents and visitors at this site since October 1924. The original facility was
expanded during the mid1950s and again during the 1960s. The Medical Arts Building was
added in 1974 and a new long term care facility, The Homestead, opened in 1984. A major
constructionrenovation project, completed in 1991, provided a new main entrancelobby,
enlarged emergency medicine facilities and refurbished patient services areas throughout
The Hospital's nursing home, which began as an 80bed facility in 1984,
was expanded into a 152bed long term care center in 1994. A 12participant (per day)
adult day health care program is also located on site.
Daisy Marquis Jones Family Health Center
An outpatient primary care facility, located on the ground floor of the
Hospital, the Center is served by family practitioners, Dr. Mary Driesch and Dr. Vivian
Lorenzo, a nurse practitioner and staff nurses. Patients are seen on an appointment basis.
John D. Kelly Behavioral Health Center Outpatient Mental Health Clinic (531-2400)
Continuing Day Treatment Program (531-2401)
Senior Outreach Program (5367486)
465 North Main Street, Penn Yan
Located a short distance from the Hospital's main campus, the Center
houses two outpatient mental health programs: the mental health clinic and the continuing
day treatment program. The new center (opened June 1996) provides modern comprehensive
facilities for clients and staff. The outpatient clinic provides a variety of individual
and group counseling services. The continuing day treatment program serves clients who
require ongoing care in individual and group activities. Soldiers & Sailors has
provided mental health services to Yates County residents since 1990 and remains one of
the very few rural, community hospitals in New York to provide integrated
Dundee Family Health Center
34 Millard Street, Dundee
This outpatient, family practice Center is located approximately 14
miles from the Hospital. The Center is staffed by a fulltime physician, Dr. John Cooley,
who is an S&S medical staff member with admitting privileges at the Hospital, an LPN
and a receptionist.
About Our Services:
Handling more than 9,000 cases each year, the Emergency Medicine
Department is staffed by specially trained physicians and nurses, who are augmented by
diagnostic staff. The department is staffed 24 hours each day; transportation is provided
by area ambulance corps.
More than 1,300 surgical procedures are performed at S&S annually
The Hospital's general surgeons are complemented by specialists who
serve several Finger Lakes regional hospitals. Approximately 65% of the surgical
procedures are done on an outpatient basis.
In addition to 12 private practice primary care physicians who have admitting privileges at S&S, the Hospital employees three other doctors who staff two primary care facilities: Daisy Marquis Jones Family Health Center on the Hospital's ground floor and the Dundee Family Health Center, approximately 14 miles south of Penn Yan.
Long Term Care:
Comprehensive services are offered at The Homestead, a 152bed nursing home, which provides adult day health care, a multiply impaired unit and respite beds for short term stays in addition to the baseline nursing home care. The Homestead is a modern, comfortable facility, providing several levels of care for the elderly.
Since 1990, S&S has provided inpatient and outpatient mental health services. A 12bed inpatient psychiatric unit is located within the Hospital. An outpatient clinic and a continuing day treatment program are housed at The John D. Kelly Behavioral Health Center, a short distance from the main campus. S&S employs three fulltime psychiatrists.
Return to Keuka Health Care Online